you've probably heard of all of the "tricks", an aspirin, a penny, vinegar and of course the packet of white powder that comes with some fresh cut flowers. ever wonder why these work? the goal of all of these things is to reduce the bacteria growth in the water, here's how:
- copper is a natural fungicide and therefore helps prevent the growth of too many yeasts or funghi.
- aspirin is also an acid which will kill bacteria overgrowth.
- lemon juice or vinegar also work as a natural bacteria killer (you only need one or two tablespoons).
a note on water temperature, keep it lukewarm to cool. this is best for most stem types but i will get more specific about this soon.
if you do any one or a combination of this tricks you will be able to enjoy your flowers for a few more "stink-free" days.